11.05.2009

morning o' thuds

Seeing daddy is gone until tonight, I have been pulling nighttime AND morning duty with Miss Maggs for the last couple days. Despite being up with a case of the squawks between 2-4 (I really don't think she was up the whole time, as I drifted during her flirtation with nighttime wakey), she was up and ready to go at 6:25. Sigh. It's not a drastic difference from her DST wake-up, but I'd love for her to get up 45-60 minutes later like she was before the switch! Anyway, we got up and I brought her into bed. She "snuggled" (a little bit of snuggle + a lot of bit of wiggles and kicks) for a bit and then decided she was hellbent on rolling off the bed. I managed to catch her every time, and despite my explaining to her that she could fall of the bed and break her pretty little head, all she wanted to do was tempt the fates....

We got out of bed, changed her diaper, moved laundry into the dryer, started a new load of diapers, gave her some milk and made scrambled eggs. She guzzled the milk and gobbled the eggs as she usually does and considered eating a bit of toast if I would feed it to her on a fork. Sigh. She yelled at me when I made a smoothie, as she hates the blender. Then with nutrition coursing through our bodies, playing began.

Maggie is becoming increasingly interested in climbing. Being up in the lazy boy or on the couch or up in a kitchen chair is super fun. She'll sit up in a chair and just proudly survey her kingdom. Unfortunately, since she never crawled, she doesn't really seem to "get" curving her body into a crawling/climbing position. She grabs arms of chairs and tries to throw a leg up until she's half doing splits in mid-air. Same thing with climbing up steps. You can just
imagine how safe that is. I try to model how she might more safely climb into a chair, but she ends up giving me her classic "dirty look" - like, "You are totally in my way, mama!" I don't want to DO everything for her, but I generally end up helping her into the chair safely.

Our first THUD this morning came her falling out of the lazy boy. Yup. It was kind of a slow-mo fall (luckily) as I bolted across the room when I heard her cry out. She kind of caught herself (doing those splits again) going down, but gravity took her the rest of the way. She landed on her belly somehow, fussed for a minute while I gave her a hug, and then was on her way. Could have been much worse.

Our second THUD of the morning came while we were playing in her room. Remember how I said I started the washer earlier? Maggie was chilling in her laundry basket o' toys (this is the fun thing to do) when that noisy-to-start washer made a gigantic THUD. Maggie and I looked at each other like "uh-oh" and I poked my head out her door to look in the pantry. Nothing LOOKED out of sorts, but as I slid into a puddle of water and jammed my big toe into the bottom of the washer, I quickly saw things WERE out of sorts. Water had poured out the bottom of the washer. Why, I do not know. Is this a fluke, did the giant THUD signal something dying in there? I think it is likely the latter. I sopped up the water while Maggie laughed (thinking, "Yay! Water! It's like bathtime!" perhaps?) and after I got her settled down for nap, I told Bill (our landlord) about the deal. He's going to take it a look at it after she gets up from her nap and call someone if needed. I think it will be. Sigh. Ours being a non-traditional landlord/tenant relationship, I think we may need to pitch in and help with the costs.

Anyway - here's to no more THUDS today. I know the day is young, but that's my hope!

Can't wait for Tim to come home. We miss you Daddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment